The art of link building is no doubt an extensive topic, and for the beginner it is very easy to become overwhelmed by the depth of information that is widely available on this subject matter. Hence, to help reduce the steep learning curve that most people will encounter in researching this exciting factor for website promotion, the following article will present to you a concise view of the10 most basic and important facts about building.
1. There are only unique links: There is a difference between every link that you will encounter on a website. Each link can be ranked based on a host of factors including the source page PR, the incoming and outgoing links on the source page, as well as its applicability to its subject matter. In fact, it is almost impossible to measure the exact potency of any one particular link.
2. Verified websites always provide better links: In link building, websites with a higher PR are usually ranked higher by search engine companies, and can easily provide an edge over any competition with just a few links from PR 6-9 pages. As a result, there is more difficulty in acquiring such links.
3. Unnatural Links: It is common place for many people to advocate for the use of natural links, that is, voluntary linking to content; however it has been observed that over 95% of the links published by most SEO companies and self-promoters are purpose driven and incentive-based.
4. A NoFollow link is worthless from an SEO perspective: there are two basic tags that accompany every link. An incoming link with a NoFollow tag is irrelevant from an SEO perspective as they limit the flow of link juice and PR to your website, whereas a DoFollow link achieves more.
5. Websites thrive on links: The only sure way of measuring the relevance of a website is through link building, and many search engines rate websites based on votes that are got through links.
6. More is not better: Against the popular belief that more is better, most search engines rely on link quality rather than quantity. Thus, you will easily find a website of 200 good quality inbound rated higher than another of 2000 links.
7. Redundant Links from Article directories: It is not uncommon to find many article directories congested with duplicate content and links as well as spam, which consequently increase the effort needed to get a good amount of inbound link juice.
8. Link building software can get you into trouble: the process of building can be greatly simplified and easily automated with the use of special software. However, these software versions have proved ineffective as it creates too many links in specific periods thus raising red flags with the search engines.
9. Links are here to stay: A web without links is inconceivable as it serves as perhaps the only method of ranking and measuring a website’s influence. Hence, one can safely say that have gained a prominence that cannot be denied.